Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Cajun Christmas.

I remember the last Christmas that my grandma had. I wasn't able to stay the whole day because I had to work at the cinema, but I remember the look on my grandma's face as she read my Christmas card.

Each year I tried to make her cry. There was always one card that would make her do so and that card had to be the most thoughtful and sweet card she had ever received, at least up until that point. I had done it that year and I was so delighted. It wasn't that I wanted to make her cry, but that I wanted to be able to touch her in a way that was special. I knew that she kept the cards throughout the year and I wanted to make sure that mine was closer to the top of the stack.

That was also the year that my uncles thought they could create Christmas dinner. My grandma had converted from making a ham dinner to making a taco dinner. She said that Thanksgiving was to close to Christmas and that she had already cooked a huge meal, why not cook something simple that we'd all enjoy. That year my uncles put the shells in the oven and forgot about them. They were placed in the oven to warm them up, but instead they came out black.

No comments: